Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Geoff Keighly "aces" Skyrim interview with Todd Howard


After Keighley asked a question about blending "action" into a RPG, Todd describes the choice oriented combat system in Skyrim, "It really plays off what you're actually doing; it goes by do what you put into your hands -- sword in this hand, magic in this hand, dual magic..." but what if you were able to wield a sword in one hand and good intentions in the other? Role playing is about interacting with the world, and combat isn't the only way to do it. Don't get me wrong, the new combat system looks absolutely fun and engaging, but what kind of focus has Bethesda put into non-combat and social interactions with the world and its people? I know Bethasda puts speech and reputation mechanics into their games, but whats new in Skyrim? Radiant AI and a flushed out world would mean a lot more if the game just wants you to hack, burn, and shout at it. I really like the idea of "skipping" unnecessary combat, or solving a problem through careful analysis and diplomatic thinking. Perhaps during side quests, instead of murdering the people in a dungeon for an item you can learn how to quickly gain their trust, or deceptively infiltrate them for it. I'm sure the game would be great regardless, but it would be nice to know what kind of thought has been put towards this particular play style.

Watch the two part interview after the jump!


Part I
Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/todd-howard-gt-tv-extended/713229

Part II
Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/todd-howard-gt-tv-extended/713231

5 comments:

  1. can't wait to try out this game, its lookin very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already told my friends, my familly and my boss, after November 11 they might aswell consider me dead, cause i won't be avaiable for noone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited for this one! I love good sandbox games.

    ReplyDelete